Monday, May 17, 2010

A Toddler's Blankie...

I'm sure many mothers can relate to what I am going through right now...trying to wash a beloved blankie against the owner's will. There is one thing that my boys know I won't take away from them and no one else can either and that is their blankie. It is the one item that they have all had from day 1. And Cooper is SUPER attached to his ALL the time. Therefore it desperately needed to be washed but finding the perfect time to do it when he doesn't care is hard to do. I do a lot of my chores around the house during nap time which is when the blankies are in use, so can't do it then. We have been gone a lot at night so not much laundry is getting done then either. So this morning I decided to do some laundry while the big boys were at school and try to get Cooper's blankie washed and dried before his nap time. The hard thing about that is he follows me around the entire morning when it is just us. He saw me put his blankie in the wash and that was when he became traumatized.
Most of the time Cooper's blankie is within 3 feet of him when he is playing. He may not always be playing with it, but it is always by him.
This here is my attempt at trying to console him after 20 minutes of crying. I offered him everything...a paci, his froggy, another blankie, Carson's doggie (which most of the time he tries to confiscate as his own anyways), kid T.V. (Barney, and if Barney is on that usually means I am desparate), milk, and finally M&M's. As you can see he accepted the M&M's but still cried through the eating creating a wet chocolate mess all over himself and table.
He continued to scream and throw himself at the washer and on the floor. He wanted nothing to do with me...he was mad at me.
Again I tried to think of something that would calm him down and I offered him 2 more pacies for a grand total of 3...one to suck on and one for each hand. That at least calmed him down to only a few cries every now and then. Sooooo this is why his blankie doesn't get washed as much as it probably should.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Patty said...

Oh Amy, I'm sorry! My kids are attached to their blankies as well so I know what you are going through. We left Will's at a hotel once and for 3 days I tried everything I could think of to get him to sleep but until the mail came with his precious blankie, he was a nightmare! Since that incident I bought each of them a "back-up" blankie that I can swap out every so often so they get washed!

Abby Ford said...

Oh...so...sad! I love the chocolate and still crying. He does look a little mad at you. I just wish they could understand!! Poor little guy.

Abby