Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Turkey Run State Park

On Sunday we ventured out to take our first family hiking trip over to Turkey Run. Before kids Chris and I spent quite a few summer weekends hiking around the state parks. We finally feel like the boys are old enough to start taking them. We went there with all intentions of doing the easy trails since we weren't sure how they would do walking and with me being pregnant. But we ended up doing the most rugged one that was 1.7 miles. It included a lot of rock climbing, walking through water, more steps than I could count (I know one section of the trail has 140 steps alone) and 30-40 foot ladders on rocks that we had to climb down. The rock formations are incredible and you don't even feel like your in Indiana. The boys had a great time, especially Camden. He was like the energizer bunny, always 20 feet in front of us. Carson did have to be carried every once in awhile but he did exceptionally well considering how hard the trail was. They loved being outdoors and seeing nature. I can't wait to take them more often next year (and yes the baby will just have to go along with us and ride in the backpack). Check out the web albums for pictures of the rest of the day.

Walking across the suspension bridge over Sugar Creek. There were lots of people out kayaking.

One of 3 ladders that we had to climb down. This was the last of the three.

This was probably Camden's favorite part because it was almost like we were in a cave with all of the rock and a stream of water that we had no choice but to walk in sometimes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, are those crocs trail-rated?

Tatum & Jose said...

That looked like so much fun! I can remember my parents taking me as a child. Unfortunatley, the only real memory I have of the trip is the tick that decided to attach itself to my leg. We had to burn it off. I thought it was a spider initially so I almost passed out;-)